A mix of educational and funding opportunities is offered for learning about wildways.
Technical and Financial Assistance
We and our partners assist farmers in researching the best options for installing a wildway, and help them obtain funds to purchase plants and supplies.
- Throughout California, we are helping farmers and their assistants with planting wildways (hedgerows, field borders and windbreaks) through California’s Healthy Soils Program, which aims to sequester carbon and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Contact us to find out about enrollment periods.
- USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) also offers support for hedgerows, field borders and windbreaks across the nation, with an aim towards clean water, healthy soil and better wildlife habitat. Contact your state office.
- Read farmer stories about their wildway plantings:
- A budding farm lays down a framework of hedgerows;
- A new generation brings in more diversity;
- An established farm broadens out their sustainability practices; and
- An organic farmer celebrates the plethora of beneficial insects.
- Watch Hedgerows to the Moon and Back webinar;
- Watch a short video an organic farm that keeps its many fields no bigger than 10-12 acres and all are surrounded by hedgerows and riparian habitat;
- Hedgerow tours on California’s Central Coast. Contact us.
Tools and Resources
- Download Optimizing Hedgerows for Birds.
- Download Hedgerows and Farmscaping for California Agriculture booklet, written by our partner at Hedgerows Unlimited.
- Download Hedgerow Benefits Align with Food Production and Sustainability Goals; co-authored by our partner at UC Cooperative Extension.